When you work at Vancouver Island University, you matter here.
We are currently looking to hire a technician to oversee our Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration services. This is a permanent, full-time role and we are hoping the right person can start as soon as possible.
As our HVAC&R Technician, you are a key member of the team who is responsible for several important duties, including:
· providing scheduled preventative maintenance of building systems equipment and facilities including, control systems, kitchen equipment and mechanical systems
· overseeing other Facilities Services and Campus Development employees to ensure correct and safe practices are adhered to and ensures good working relations with provincial inspectors, utilities and regulators
· meeting with and supervise service providers (consultants and contractors)
· reviewing and advising on the feasibility of renovations/alterations and new construction by reviewing drawings and specifications
· assisting in the operation of energy management program.
· Trades Qualification (BC) in Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration or Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic, Gas Fitter (Class B) complete with electrical endorsement.
· Technical Diploma in Heating, Ventilating, Air Conditioning and Refrigeration. Minimum 3 years' recent experience in a complex, public institution including supervisory experience. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
· Thorough knowledge of all practices and procedures of the trades including applicable building codes and regulations.
· Safe and efficient use of all tools and equipment associated with the trade and familiarity with common safety practices.
· Computer literacy including Microsoft Office, Direct Digital Controls (DDC) and Computer Maintenance Management Systems (CMMS).
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated excellent interpersonal skills including client services and good written and oral communication.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Experience in reviewing and interpreting commercial building and equipment drawings and specifications.
View the full job description and apply online by November 14. (#18-3165)
Ideally situated on Mid-Vancouver Island with spectacular views of the coastal mountains, Vancouver Island University is a comprehensive teaching university with approximately 15,000 students across four campuses. VIU proudly fosters student success, strong community connections and international collaborations by providing access to a wide range of programs, from academic undergraduate and master’s to industry-responsive trades and vocational training. VIU is particularly proud of its role in Aboriginal education and is dedicated to advancing student success in this area. All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority. VIU embraces the principle of employment equity and encourages applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities, and people of Aboriginal descent.