A Mechanical Engineering Technologist or similarly qualified Mechanical Designer that keeps current in the field, and is familiar with mechanical contracting and related trades, will welcome this opportunity to join the University of Guelph Design, Engineering & Construction team.
Reporting to the Manager of Mechanical Design, and demonstrating your proficiency with AutoCAD, you will design mechanical building systems for new and retrofit projects. Systems involved include HVAC air distribution, hydronic heating, chilled water, domestic water and plumbing systems, steam and condensate, along with support systems for laboratory and research equipment.
This is a temporary, full-time position (to approximately May 3, 2019).
Your specific responsibilities as a Mechanical Designer will include:
- interviewing users to fully understand their requirements;
- assessing building site conditions;
- using AutoCAD to produce working mechanical drawings that illustrate plan views, elevation view and details pertinent to the project;
- writing technical specifications, and identifying equipment, materials and proper procedures necessary to complete the project;
- supporting all design variables with calculation notes based on standard engineering practices and principles while conforming to all government codes and standards;
- interacting with the supervisor and coordinating design with architectural and electrical designers;
- preparing bid packages;
- attending project planning meetings, as required;
- responding to queries from contractors and equipment suppliers;
- scheduling shut-downs, as required;
- performing job site reviews;
- resolving design problems;
- reviewing completed mechanical installations, and reporting deficiencies to the construction coordinator;
- preparing estimates for the mechanical portions of projects;
- assisting with buried service locates;
- remaining current in the field, including updating technical skills; and
- performing other associated duties, as assigned.
To assume the role of Mechanical Designer, you must have:
Community college graduation from a Mechanical Engineering Technologist program, coupled with a minimum of three (3) years’ experience working in mechanical services design with an engineering consulting firm, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Proficiency with AutoCAD, word processing, and spreadsheet software.
A mechanical aptitude, and a working knowledge of mechanical contracting and related trades.
Good communication and organization skills.
Safety training relevant to this position.
Note: Off-campus candidates will be expected to provide an acceptable criminal record check at their own expense if chosen as the successful applicant.
The University of Guelph (www.uoguelph.ca) is one of Canada’s leading research-intensive comprehensive institutions, with a record of outstanding scholarship in the arts, humanities, social sciences, life sciences, physical and engineering sciences, agriculture and veterinary sciences. This is your chance to join us in our endeavour to improve life.
To view a detailed posting of this Mechanical Designer role, please go to our website at www.uoguelph.ca/jobs. Applications, quoting Hiring #2018-0024, must be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.
At the University of Guelph, fostering a culture of inclusion is an institutional imperative. The University invites and encourages applications from all qualified individuals, including from groups that are traditionally underrepresented in employment, who may contribute to further diversification of our Institution.